Friday, July 18, 2008

Bidung Island, Malaysia


As promised earlier, Bidung Island or Pulau Bidung is located in the state of Terengganu in Malaysia. Bidung I have know this name for a long long time now, like the story goes, those days when we first started doing camping trips to Redang we will take that tedious long boar ride from Kuala Terengganu to Redang via Bidung Island. Every time we passed by the island it gave me a feeling that .. one day in the near future I would like to visit this island and feel what it is like to be living there, to be restricted in this island and cannot leave the island. Bidung is a Vietnamese refugee island.

It was subconsciously embedded in my mind since then that I want to go to Bidung. There are a few occasions that friends from the industry did invite me to go along for some dives, however may be then its not time yet. I was blessed last month with this trip to Bidung Island. It makes my heart full, I was lucky to be there to stay 2 nights, camping out on the beach though I did not sleep inside the tent at ALL, I dislike being inside a tent when I can out in the open.

It's really an untouched island that reminds me of 16 or 17 years back in Redang. Bidung is beyond my words of expression. That also reminds me of the camping days in Redang, I was soooo 'gung ho' to sleep on the beach again in Bidung. It really reminds me of Redang days. The skies are full of stars and I was 'rock' to sleep by the rhythm of the waves hitting the beach. The skies are the blanket ! heheheh nah I'll be in cold if I did, I was in my sleeping bag, all alone on the beach ...

The dives that I did in Bidung was an eye opener. The first dive, I was amazed by the richness the corals are in this site. It also warns me and scare me that if we do nothing now to preserve this island, it will be gone in 10 years, or less. The other site that I went was the underwater gallery that CoRal Malaysia did 2 years back. When I descend to the site, it was WOW ! seeing the keris replicas was very partiotic. There are 5 other replicas, tapak sireh, batu bersurat, tengkolok, perahu payung and pintu gerbang of Terengganu.

I thank the universe for making this trip happens; perhaps it's time now, and I am ready for it ! 




This rascal was soooo feeling at home that he did not even bother what I was doing with him, shooting and shooting. He's less then 4 m from me on the top of the branch, directly above  G's tent. 


No comments: